Friday, November 6, 2009

Bobo Meets Rhettmatic

Last night my pare BJ gives me a call and lets me know that he and his girl had some friends visiting from out of town, and that they were heading over to the ROOT DOWN, and asked if I would like to join. If you've ever been to the ROOT DOWN, then you know that it was an easy decision to make. He had mentioned that RHETTMATIC & BOBO were going to be doing their thing, so I was in it to win it.


Right when we got there, you could tell that the night was well underway. No parking up on Sunset. Valet lot was full. Neighborhood parking was tight. Luckily we found a spot right by the lot, so it wasn't much of a hike. Right when we walked up to the front of the spot, we were greeted by a bevy of familiar friendly faces! My hermano Arturo was manning the door while Tina was keeping the box on lock. As we made our way to the bar, greeting friends,making introductions, (shout out to LOS, MIKE PARK, JEDI, ERVIN ARANA, ANALOG, ANTIQUE, DOLL ONE, NONSTOP, CHIKARA, PATEN), Slowpoke was on the stage rocking a full dance floor. The energy at the ROOT DOWN is usually good, but there was a little something different going on tonight. There was just a bit more electricity in the air. Whatever it was, it was building a beautiful vibe.

We went outside for some fresh air until Rhett and Bobo hit the stage. Damani was on the patio keepin it roots, Gregory Isaacs Night Nurse played as we walked out. Both levels of the patio were full of people, it was a good looking scene.

We went back in to catch Rhett & Bobo, and seriously...I figured out where the energy was coming from. Their act ranged from Ray Barretto's Pasttime Paradise, to Kraftwerk's Tour De France. With Rhett on the decks and Bobo on the congas, weaving, tempering, creating this intricate sound while playing off of one another, it was truly a beautiful thing to see and hear. There was a moment when Rhett & Bobo were just staring at each other's hands while playing as if to say, "I'm gonna follow you. No, I'm gonna follow you." Two masters at work, giving each other the space and respect they both deserve, and still living as instruments of music.

Ervin Arana captured the entire set on his trusty camcorder. I can't wait to see the footage and show it to Brandon. Conga was one of the first words that Brandon learned. Turntables & Congas, I think he's gonna lose his mind. I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment